Tay Road Bridge opened
In 1966, the Tay Road Bridge designed by William Fairhurst was opened by the Queen Mother. This finally replaced ferry service for vehicles across the Tay estuary on the east coast of Scotland, although the present rail bridge had been in use since 1887. The 42-span road bridge is one of the longest in Europe, 1.4 miles (2250-m) long, 32-ft (10-m) above water level, and links Newport in north-east Fife to Dundee. Tolls are collected on the southbound route are used for maintenance costs. Construction began on the £6 million project in 1962. Willie Logan, director of the construction company and five other workers died while the bridge was being built, and are commemorated by a 51-ft (15.5-m) tall obelisk at the Fife end.«